Language Arts and Math Subject Guidelines
- Ask and answer questions about a story!
- Retell a story!
- Identify character, settings, and events in a story!
- Identify words and phrases that suggest feelings!
- Explain major differences between fiction and non-fiction books!
- Identify who is telling the story in different parts of the text!
- Use illustrations and details to describe characters, settings, and events!
- Compare/contrast adventures and experiences of characters!
- Read prose and poetry!
- Ask and answer questions about key details of a story!
- Identify the main idea and recall key details!
- Describe the connection between people, events, ideas, or information in a story!
- Determine and clarify the meaning of words and phrases in a story!
- Use text features to find new information in a text!
- Distinguish between information given by illustrations and information given by the written text!
- Use the illustrations and details to describe key ideas!
- Identify the reasons an author gives to support the text!
- Identify similarities and differences between two texts that are about the same topic!
- Read informational texts!
- Recognize the features of a sentence!
- Distinguish long and short vowels!
- Produce single syllable words by blending sounds!
- Isolate and produce initial, medial and ending sounds!
- Break a word into individual sounds!
- Recognize common consonant digraphs!
- Decode one-syllable words!
- Use final e and common vowel teams for long vowel sounds!
- Understand that every syllable must contain a vowel!
- Decode two-syllable words!
- Read words with inflectional endings!
- Recognize and read irregularly spelled words!
- Read with accuracy and fluency!
- Write about an opinion!
- Write about a topic!
- Write a narrative!
- Work with others to strengthen my writing!
- Work with others and use digital tools to create writing projects!
- Work with others to research for writing projects!
- Answer questions from what I know or from new resources!
- Work in a group following proper listening and speaking rules!
- Ask and answer questions about important details!
- Ask and answer questions when I don't understand!
- Describe people, places, things and ideas!
- Use pictures to help my description!
- Speak clearly to express my thoughts!
- Print all uppercase and lowercase letters!
- Use common, proper and possessive nouns!
- Use personal, possessive and indefinite pronouns!
- Use past, present and future tense verbs!
- Use frequently occurring adjectives!
- Use determiners!
- Use frequently occurring prepositions!
- Write complete simple sentences!
- Write complete compound sentences!
- Capitalize dates and names of people!
- Use commas in dates and to separate a series of words!
- Spell words correctly!
- Spell unknown words phonetically!
- Determine and clarify the meaning of unknown words!
- Understand figurative language, word relationships and nuances in word meanings!
- Use new words and phrases that I have learned from listening and reading!
- Answer word problems.
- Answer word problems that add three numbers.
- Understand how addition and subtraction is related.
- Use subtraction to answer an addition problem.
- Count on to any number.
- Solve addition problems.
- Solve subtraction problems.
- Say my addition facts to 10.
- Say my subtraction facts to 10.
- Explain what an equal sign means.
- Recognize true and false equations.
- Find the unknown number.
- Count to 120 beginning from any number my teacher says.
- Compare numbers to answer greater than, less than, and equal to questions.
- Understand place value. (Tens and Ones)
- Add tens and ones.
- Find 10 more.
- Find 10 less.
- Explain and subtract multiples of 10.
- Compare objects by length.
- Measure lengths of objects using other smaller objects.
- Write the time. (digital)
- Write the time. (analog)
- Read a graph.
- Create a graph.
- Describe shapes.
- Build shapes.
- Draw shapes.
- Create 2-dimensional shapes.
- Create 3-dimensional shapes.
- Divide shapes into equal parts.
- Understand and explain halves.
- Understand and explain fourths.
- Understand and explain quarters.
First Grade Resources
Science, Social Science, and Health Subject Guidelines
- Identify the parts of seeds and plants.
- Distinguish between living and nonliving things.
- Identify the four stages of butterfly development.
- Discuss animal habitats.
- Force and Magnets
- Experiment with how things move and work.
- Investigate how magnets push and pull.
Weather and Seasons
- Investigate the effects of weathering on air, land, and water.
- Identify how weather changes from season to season.
- Basic principles of the U.S. government.
- Election processes and responsibility of citizens, elected officials, civic leaders.
- Needs vs. wants.
- Roles of consumers and producers.
- Significance of historical events in community, country, and world.
- Effects of change in the economy and environment.
- Use maps, globes, charts, pictures to understand information.
- Physical components of the Earth's ecosystems.
- Relationships of groups in society (employer/employee, student, community member).
- Apply PeaceBuilder skills to contribute to society.
Growing Up Well
- Healthy practices
- Recognition of healthy foods
- Making good choices
- Accepting differences
- Learning to say "no"
- Peer pressure
- Dental health
- Personal hygiene